John Stachel (; born 29 March 1928) is an American physicist and philosopher of science.
Stachel earned his PhD at Stevens Institute of Technology in Physics about a topic in General relativity in 1958. After holding different teaching positions at Lehigh University and the University of Pittsburgh, he went 1964 to Boston University where he was professor of physics until his emeritation.
In 1977, Stachel became the first editor of the Einstein Papers Project, then at Boston University. The first two volumes (out of a projected twenty-five) of The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein were published during his tenure.
He is head of the Boston University Center for Einstein Studies and, together with Don Howard, publishes the book series Einstein Studies.
Stachel also authored a text, entitled Einstein: From 'B' to 'Z'. In 2005 he delivered the British Academy's Master-Mind Lecture.
- A. Einstein; J. Stachel, D.C. Cassidy, et al., eds., The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein, Vol. 1: The Early Years, 1879-1902, Princeton University Press 1987, ISBN 0-691-08407-6
- A. Einstein; J. Stachel, D.C. Cassidy, et al., eds., The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein, Vol. 2: The Swiss Years: Writings, 1900-1909, Princeton University Press 1989, ISBN 0-691-08526-9
- A. Ashtekar, J. Stachel, eds., Conceptual Problems of Quantum Gravity, Springer 1991, ISBN 0-8176-3443-6
- D. Howard, J. Stachel, Einstein, The Formative Years 1879-1909, Birkhäuser 2000, ISBN 0-8176-4030-4
- J. Stachel, 'Einstein from 'B' to 'Z' , Birkhauser 2002, ISBN 0-8176-4143-2
- A. Ashtekar et al., eds., Revisiting the Foundations of Relativistic Physics: Festschrift in Honor of John Stachel, Kluwer 2003, ISBN 1-4020-1284-5
- ^ Staley, Richard (2004). "Review of Einstein from "B" to "Z" by John Stachel". Isis. 95 (3): 535–536. doi:10.1086/429053. ISSN 0021-1753.
- ^ "Master-Mind Lectures". The British Academy. text
- ^ Hendry, John (1988). "Review of The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein. Volume 1. The Early Years, 1879–1902 edited by John Stachel, David C. Cassidy, Robert Schulmann, and Jürgen Renn; trans. by Anna Beck". The British Journal for the History of Science. 21 (2): 262. doi:10.1017/S0007087400024894. ISSN 0007-0874.
- ^ Loewenberg, Peter (January 29, 1988). "Reviewed Work: The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein, Vol. I, edited by John Stachel et al.". Science. 239 (4839): 510–512. JSTOR 1700285.
- ^ Raman, Varadaraja V. (1990). "Review of The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein. Vol. 2. The Swiss Years: Writings, 1900−1909 edited by John Stachel et al.". American Journal of Physics. 58 (7): 700–701. doi:10.1119/1.16384. ISSN 0002-9505.