The War Portal
is a state of conflict
between relatively large groups of people (such as nations
, social groups
) which is characterized by the use of armed lethal violence
or upon civilians
. Other terms for war, which often serve as euphemisms
, include armed conflict, hostilities, and police action
A common look on war is a series of military campaigns between at least two or more opposing sides involving a dispute over sovereignty, territory, resources, ideology
or a host of other issues. A war to liberate an occupied country is sometimes characterised as a "war of liberation", while a war between internal elements of the same state is called as civil war.
Aside from humans and other primates, ants are the only other animals known to exhibit such behavior on a large scale.
A battle is a single engagement fought between two or more parties, wherein each party or aligned group will seek to defeat their opponent. Battles are most often fought during military campaigns and can usually be well defined in time, space and action. Wars are generally the continuum of a related series of battles and are guided by strategy, whereas individual battles are the stage on which tactics are employed.
Military history is the recording and analysis of those events in the history of humanity that fall within the category of organised armed conflict, and that relate to the institutions and organizations that prosecute such conflict.
Featured article -
Selected conflict -
The Spanish Civil War (Spanish: Guerra Civil Española) was a civil war in Spain fought from 1936 to 1939. Republicans loyal to the left-leaning Popular Front government of the Second Spanish Republic, in alliance with anarchists, of the communist and syndicalist variety, fought against a revolt by the Nationalists, an alliance of Falangists, monarchists, conservatives and traditionalists, led by a military group among whom General Francisco Franco soon achieved a preponderant role. Due to the international political climate at the time, the war had many facets and was variously viewed as class struggle, a war of religion, a struggle between dictatorship and republican democracy, between revolution and counterrevolution, and between fascism and communism. According to Claude Bowers, U.S. ambassador to Spain during the war,
it was the "dress rehearsal" for World War II. The Nationalists won the war, which ended in early 1939, and ruled Spain until Franco's death in November 1975.
The war began after a pronunciamiento (a declaration of military opposition, of revolt) against the Republican government by a group of generals of the Spanish Republican Armed Forces, with General Emilio Mola as the primary planner and leader and having General José Sanjurjo as a figurehead. The government at the time was a coalition of Republicans, supported in the Cortes by communist and socialist parties, under the leadership of centre-left President Manuel Azaña. The Nationalist group was supported by a number of conservative groups, including CEDA, monarchists, including both the opposing Alfonsists and the religious conservative Carlists, and the Falange Española de las JONS, a fascist political party. After the deaths of Sanjurjo, Emilio Mola and Manuel Goded Llopis, Franco emerged as the remaining leader of the Nationalist side. (Full article...)
Major topics and categories
Did you know...? -
Featured picture -
A young Marine private waits on the beach during the Marine landing at Da Nang, Vietnam — August 3, 1965.
Photo credit: Unknown - NARA archive
The following are images from various war-related articles on Wikipedia.
War-damaged buildings in Beirut
Illustration of an "eruptor," a proto-cannon, capable of firing cast-iron bombs filled with gunpowder, from the 14th century Ming Dynasty book Huolongjing
The Vickers was the successor to the Maxim gun and remained in British military service for 79 consecutive years.
Infantry were the first military forces in history. This warrior statuette demonstrates that military culture was an important part of historical societies, c.480 BC, Staatliche Antikensammlungen.
Selection of weapons collected by security officers at an airport
Other Wikimedia projects
Things you can do
|Summary of Military history WikiProject open tasks|
watch · edit · full list
- News and announcements
- The February newsletter is now available.
- The WP:SOLDIER notability essay has been deprecated, and should no longer be used in discussions of notability at AfD and elsewhere.
- Editors are advised that Featured Articles promoted before 2016 are in need of review, if you had an article promoted to Featured status on or before 2016 please check and update your article before they are listed at FAR/C.
- Current discussions
- Featured article candidates
- Charles Green (Australian soldier) • République-class battleship • Thomas Erpingham • Sulayman ibn Abd al-Malik • International Conference on the Holocaust and Genocide • 4th Missouri Infantry Regiment (Confederate) • Battle of Inverkeithing • United States war plans (1945–1950) • William Hardham • Battle of Rethymno • Lisa Nowak • Yazid I • Temporary gentlemen • Battle of Marais des Cygnes
- Featured article review
- British Empire • Structural history of the Roman military • German occupation of Luxembourg during World War I
- Featured list candidates
- List of Victoria Cross recipients from the British 2nd Division
- A-Class review
- Uganda–Tanzania War • Shuttle-Centaur • Battle of Little Blue River • Nazis and Nazi Collaborators (Punishment) Law • Nichols's Missouri Cavalry Regiment • Second Battle of Newtonia • Tito–Stalin split • List of protected cruisers of France • List of commanders of the British 2nd Division • H2S (radar) • Tecumseh • Edgar Kain • London and North Western Railway War Memorial • French battleship Liberté
- Peer reviews
- Albert W. Gilchrist • List of victories of Rudolf Berthold • List of orders of battle for the British 2nd Division • Armenian Genocide denial • Kronstadt rebellion
- Good article nominees
- Kaharuddin Nasution • IRIS Kharg • Benjamin Loxley • Provisional Irish Republican Army • Peroz I • Tracy Philipps • Beauregard Castle, Chippis • Karl Allmenröder • Tobias Watkins • Lucius Valerius Potitus (consul 393 BC) • Statue of John Brown Gordon • Tito–Šubašić Agreements • Hua Mulan • Pete Buttigieg • Chatham Manor • Sud-Ouest Espadon • John Rinehart Blue • Tupolev MTB-2 • Leduc 022 • Nord 1500 Griffon • 2nd Infantry Division (United Kingdom) • Battle of Saint-Malo • Arsenal VG 70 • Powell Clayton • Brazilian Military Junta of 1930 • Battle of Milliken's Bend • Allied logistics in the Southern France campaign • Turabay dynasty • Arsenal VG 90 • Nord 2200 • 2020 Salvadoran political crisis • Battle of Jackson, Mississippi • Mary E. Clarke • Battle of Dupplin Moor • Final Offensive of 1981
- Good article reassessments
- Home Army • Swabian War
Articles that need... work on referencing and citation (111,485) • only work on referencing and citation (36,073) • work on coverage and accuracy (85,751) • only work on coverage and accuracy (11,719) • work on structure (22,584) • only work on structure (161) • work on grammar (7,230) • only work on grammar (20) • work on supporting materials (24,917) • only work on supporting materials (1,330) • assessment (86) • assessment as lists (0) • project tags fixed (0) • assessment checklists added (112) • assessment checklists completed (2) • attention to task force coverage (685)