This article needs additional citations for verification
. (December 2020)
Sporting equipment, also called sporting goods, are the tools, materials, apparel, and gear used to compete in a sport and varies depending on the sport. The equipment ranges from balls, nets, and protective gear like helmets. Sporting equipment can be used as protective gear or a tool used to help the athletes play the sport. Over time, sporting equipment has evolved because sports have started to require more protective gear to prevent injuries. Sporting equipment may be found in any department store.
The ball is often what a sport requires and revolves around. A sports ball is typically round, but can also be in the shape such as association football, American football, baseball and basketball, or the ball is named after the sport. Other cases are the Gaelic football. In other cases, the name of the sport is indicated, just as the cricket ball, golf ball, lacrosse ball or tennis ball.
Flying discs are used for various games such as freestyle, disc golf and ultimate.
In many games, goal posts are at each end of the playing field, there are two vertical posts (or uprights) supporting a horizontal crossbar. In some games, such as football, hockey or water polo, the object is to pass the ball or puck between the posts below the crossbar, while in others, such as those based on rugby, the ball must pass over the crossbar instead.
Nets are used for tennis, volleyball, football, basketball, hockey and badminton.
A different type of net is used for various forms of fishing.
Racquets are used for racquet sports such as tennis, squash and badminton.
Rods and tackle
Fishing rods and fishing tackle are primarily used for fishing and sport fishing.
Sticks, bats and clubs
Sticks are used for sports such as hockey and lacrosse.
Bats are used for sports such as baseball and cricket.
Clubs are used mainly for golf (Golf club)
Wickets and bases
Wickets, creases and balls are used in cricket, and bases are used in baseball.
Footwear for sports includes:
Protective equipment is often worn for sports including motor sport and contact sports, such as ice hockey and American football or sports where there is a danger of injury through collision of players or other objects. Protective equipment includes:
Examples for training equipment include swiss balls, weights, chin-up bars, equipment for the gym. Also protective equipment such as weight lifting belts and bench shirts for weight training and powerlifting.
Special sports equipment
Special sports equipment, is the equipment usually worn by the athletes according to their needs or desires.
- Special equipment in sports branches:
- Football leggings: Football leggings, mostly used in winter. It is used to prevent the body from getting cold and injury due to the cold weather after warm-up training in winter.
- Football captain's tape: Football captain's tape, is a compulsory (need) piece of equipment. Football captains are chosen by the coach, the accessory provided must be worn by the captain.
- Football shinguard: Football shinguard, is a special piece of equipment, that football players wear according to their specific wishes.
- Football bracelet: Football bracelet, is a special need equipment and players write the name of a family member or loved one according to their wishes.
- Football footband: Football footband, is worn by footballers in the ankle area between the crampons and the toe and is need or for pleasure.
- Volleyball wristband: Volleyball wristband, is mostly used by volleyball players. Volleyball players use it for better grip of their hands.
- Volleyball knee pads: Volleyball knee pads, is the equipment used by volleyball players to protect their knees, when they jump high, jump sideways and fall to the ground.
- Volleyball leg pads: Volleyball leg pads, allows volleyball players to play safely.
- Basketball armband: Basketball armband, is a piece of equipment that basketball players use according to their tastes or needs.
- Basketball headband: Basketball headband, is a piece of equipment that basketball players wear according to their wishes and tastes and is not mandatory.
- Basketball handband: Basketball handband, is like a need for basketball players to protect their hands and grip the ball more comfortably, but it is not mandatory.
- Basketball bracelet: Basketball bracelet, is a piece of equipment, that is generally used only as an accessory by basketball players.
- Tennis armband: It is a non-mandatory accessory worn by tennis players.
- Tennis hair band: Tennis headband, is an accessory especially used by athletes according to their own color and taste.
- Tennis hat: The tennis hat is often used by tennis athletes. Used as an accessory.
Vehicles (sometimes specialized) are used as equipment for some sports, including motor sport, cycling, aeronautics, sailing and hot air ballooning.
Small vehicles with flatbeds are often used to carry injured athletes off the field, most commonly in American football.
History and development of sports
Historically many sports players have developed their own sporting equipment over time. For instance, the use of a football dates back to ancient China, between 225 BC and 220 AD.21st century, the material of the ball has completely changed over the centuries; from being made out of animal skin, to being lined with multiple layers of polyester or cotton.
As football remains the most popular sport in the
As the sporting equipment industry improves, so does the athletes performance. This is due to the fact that the equipment is more efficient, lighter and stronger it forming a bio-mechanical system, interacting with the athlete.
Since the massive adoption of wearable, new sport equipment tend to be electronics and connected to deliver data performances.
Media related to Sports equipment at Wikimedia Commons