Bente Hammer (born 1950) is a Danish textile artist and fashion designer. Born in Helsinge in the north of Zealand, she moved to the island of Bornholm in 1987 where she opened a workshop and boutique in an old smithy on Nyker Hovedgade, the main street in Nyker, about 7 km northeast of Ronne. In 2011, she opened a second store in Svaneke together with the jewellery designer Nina Schrøder.
She is said to make "one-of-a-kind clothing made of handprinted textiles". She uses a wealth of different materials in her works and has created many colorful printed fabrics. Hammer has designed dresses for clients such as Queen Margrethe and the actress Ghita Nørby. A kimono designed by Hammer was presented to Queen Margrethe on the occasion of her 70th birthday by Bornholm Regional Municipality. In an extensive interview on Denmark's TV2, she explains how she learnt the art of textile design at Mulle Høyrups Eksperimentelle Værkstedskole, a small specialized school with only six students. There she was able to appreciate the individuality of the craft at a time when most of those working in the textile business simply worked for large international producers. She completed her studies in 1973.
In October 2012, Hammer who is a member of ACAB Arts and Crafts Bornholm was together with the association's president, Maibritt Jønsson, selected to represent the island of Bornholm at a conference on creative design in eastern Iceland with a view to inspiring local craftsmen in their work.
- ^ Berman, Martha (1 January 1992). Fielding's Scandinavia, 1993. William Morrow. p. 64. ISBN 978-0-688-10164-0. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- ^ Elisabeth Krogh, "Bente Hammer til ny by", TidendeDK, 25 March 2011. (in Danish) Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- ^ "Bente Hammer: Curriculum Vitae", ACAB Arts & Crafts Association Bornholm. (in Danish) Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- ^ Fodor's Denmark: the guide for all budgets, completely updated, with many maps and travel tips. Fodor's. 7 May 2002. p. 144. ISBN 978-0-676-90201-3. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- ^ Design from Scandinavia. World Pictures. 1991. p. 82. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- ^ Sofie Rønde Mathiesen, "Bornholmsk kimono til dronningen", P4 Bornholm. (in Danish) Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- ^ "Julins med Bente Hammer", TV2 Bornholm, 28 March 2011. (in Danish) Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- ^ "ACAB fremhævet i Island", Danmarks Radio, 24 October 2012.