Courland Governorate of the Russian Empire
• Partition of Poland
|28 March 1795|
• Treaty of Brest-Litovsk
Subdivisions or uyezds of Courland Governorate
|Today part of||Latvia|
The Courland Governorate, also known as the Province of Courland, Governorate of Kurland (German: Kurländisches Gouvernement; Russian: Курля́ндская губерния, romanized: Kurljándskaja gubernija; Latvian: Kurzemes guberņa; Lithuanian: Kuršo gubernija) was one of the Baltic governorates of the Russian Empire, that is now part of the Republic of Latvia.
German and Russian map of the Courland Governorate
The governorate was created in 1795 out of the territory of the Duchy of Courland and Semigallia that was incorporated into the Russian Empire as the province of Courland with its capital at Mitau (now Jelgava), following the third partition of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. Until the late 19th century the governorate was not ruled by Russia but was administered independently by the local Baltic German nobility through a feudal Regional Council (German: Landtag).
The governorate was bounded in the north by the Baltic Sea, the Gulf of Riga and the Governorate of Livonia; west by the Baltic Sea; south by the Vilna Governorate and Prussia and east by the Vitebsk Governorate and Minsk Governorate. The population in 1846 was estimated at 553,300.
It ceased to exist during World War I after the German Empire took control of the region in 1918. Russia surrendered the territory by the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk on 3 March 1918.
The governorate was subdivided into 10 counties (German: Kreis; Russian: Uyezd)
List of governors
Between 1800 and 1876 overall authority in Courland was handed to the governor-general of the Baltic Provinces (German: Generalgouverneur der Ostseeprovinzen).
- 1795 – 1796 Baron Peter Ludwig von der Pahlen (temporary governor-general of Courland and Pilten)
- 1796 – 1798 Count Gustav Matthias Jakob von der Wenge genannt Lambsdorff
- 1798 – 1800 Baron Wilhelm Carl Heinrich von der Oest genannt Driesen
- 1800 – 1808 Nikolay Ivanovich Arsenyev
- 1808 Jakob Maximilian von Brieskorn (acting governor on 18–21 May 1812)
- 1808 – 1811 Baron Jan Willem Hogguer
- 1811 Jakob Maximilian von Brieskorn (acting governor in August–September 1812)
- 1811 – 1816 Count Friedrich Wilhelm von Sivers (1748–1823) (in exile in Riga during Napoleonic invasion of Courland in July–December 1812)
- 1812 Jules de Chambaudoin and Charles de Montigny (French intendants of Courland, Semigallia and Pilten on 1 August-8 October 1812)
- 1812 Jacques David Martin (French governor-general of Courland on 8 October-20 December 1812)
- 1816 – 1824 Emannuel von Stanecke
- 1824 – 1827 Paul Theodor von Hahn (1793–1862)
- 1827 – 1853 Christoph Engelbrecht von Brevern
- 1853 Aleksandr Petrovich Beklemishev (acting governor on 10 May–14 June 1853)
- 1853 – 1858 Pyotr Aleksandrovich Valuyev
- 1858 Julius von Cube (acting governor on 10–21 May 1858)
- 1858 – 1868 Johann von Brevern
- 1868 – 1885 Paul Frommhold Ignatius von Lilienfeld-Toal
- 1885 Aleksandr Alekseyevich Manyos
- 1885 – 1888 Konstantin Ivanovich Pashchenko
- 1888 – 1891 Dmitry Sergeyevich Sipyagin
- 1891 – 1905 Dmitry Dmitriyevich Sverbeyev
- 1905 – 1906 Woldemar Alexander Valerian von Boeckmann
- 1906 – 1910 Leonid Mikhailovich Knyazev
- 1910 Nikolay Dmitriyevich Kropotkin
- 1910 – 1915 Набоков, Сергей Дмитриевич
- 1915–1917 Tatishchev, Pyotr Vasilyevich Gendrikov, Strakhov (in exile in Tartu after the German invasion of Courland in July 1915).
In March 1918 the Baltic provinces were transferred to German authority following the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk.
- By the Imperial census of 1897. In bold are languages spoken by more people than the state language.
References and notes
Coordinates: 56°39′08″N 23°43′28″E / 56.6522°N 23.7244°E