Mike Benson is an American television writer and show runner, who has also been writing comics for Marvel Comics.
His past credits include writer and co-executive producer of Entourage and The Bernie Mac Show. In TV, Mike Benson's name is listed as Michael Benson. Michael's writing and producing partner is Marc Abrams. In 2006 they founded their production shingle, Catapult 360, which signed a two-year, seven-figure overall deal with Universal Media Studios to develop and produce drama, comedy and reality programming. Abrams & Benson write some projects themselves, in addition to supervising and co-developing with other scribes.
Benson's most recent projects include Scar Tissue with Anthony Kiedis for HBO, based on the book of the same name.
Benson is also a rising comic book star whose credits include Moon Knight, Punisher, Wolverine, and a Luke Cage Noir for Marvel.
Screenwriting work includes:
Comics work includes
- The Punisher Annual #1, "The Hunted" (with Laurence Campbell, September, 2007) collected in Girls in White Dresses (tpb, 120 pages, 2009, ISBN 0-7851-2520-5):
- Moon Knight vol. 3 (January, 2008-May, 2009)
- Volume 3: God and Country (tpb, 184 pages, 2008, ISBN 0-7851-2521-3) collects:
- Volume 4: Death of Marc Spector (hc, 152 pages, 2009, ISBN 0-7851-3218-X) collects:
- "The Death of Marc Spector" (with Mark Texeira, in #21-25, 2008)
- "Silent Knight" (written by Peter Milligan and drawn by Laurence Campbell, in Moon Knight: Silent Knight, 2008)
- Volume 5: Down South (tpb, 120 pages, 2009, ISBN 0-7851-3171-X) collects:
- Wolverine: Chop Shop (one-shot) (with Roland Boschi, November, 2008)
- Deadpool: Suicide Kings (limited series) (April, 2009-August, 2009)
- Luke Cage Noir (limited series) (August, 2009-November, 2009)
- Luke Cage Noir (tpb, 112 pages, 2010, ISBN 0-7851-3545-6) collects:
- "Moon Over Harlem" (with Adam Glass and Shawn Martinbrough, in #1-3, 2009)
- "A Harlem Sunset" (with Adam Glass and Shawn Martinbrough, in #4, 2009)
- Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu vol.2 #1, "Once Upon A Time In Wan Chai" (with Tomm Coker, September, 2009)
- Deadpool #900, "Deadpool: Shrunken Master" (with Damion Scott, October, 2009) collected in Dead Head Redemption (tpb, 240 pages, 2011, ISBN 0-7851-5649-6)
- Deadpool Team-Up #898, "Bring Me the Head of Mickey Dobbs" (with Carlo Barberi, December, 2009) collected Volume 1: Good Buddies (hc, 144 pages, 2010, ISBN 0-7851-4528-1)
- Breaking Into Comics the Marvel Way! #1, "Let Sleeping Devils Lie" (with Michele Bertilorenzi, March, 2010)
- Deadpool Pulp (4-issue limited series, with Adam Glass and Laurence Campbell, September–December, 2010, collected in Deadpool Pulp (hc, 112 pages, 2011, ISBN 0-7851-4893-0)
- X-Men vs Vampires #2, "Flesh, Fangs and Burnt Rubber" (with Mark Texeira, October, 2010)
- Captain America #666, "Operation: Tooth Fairy" (with Paul Grist, March, 2011) collected in Prisoner of War (hc, 200 pages, 2011, ISBN 0-7851-5121-4)
- Avengers Origins: Luke Cage, one-shot (with Adam Glass and Dalibor Talajic, November 2011) collected in Avengers Mythos (tpb, 208 pages, 2013, ISBN 0-7851-4860-4)
- A+X #11, "Thor + Magik" (with Mark Texeira, August, 2013) collected in A+X=Amazing (tpb, 136 pages, 2013, ISBN 0-7851-6675-0)
- Deadly Hands of Kung Fu vol. 2 (4-issue limited series, with Tan Eng Huat, May–August, 2014, collected in Out of the Past, tpb, 160 pages, 2014, ISBN 0-7851-9078-3)
Batman: Streets of Gotham #8-9, "Hardcore Nights" (with Dustin Nguyen, January–February, 2010) collected in Leviathan (hc, 160 pages, 2010, ISBN 1-4012-2905-0)
Awards he has won, or been nominated for, include:
- Winner of 2010 Glyph Comics Fan Award for Best Comic for "Luke Cage Noir"
- Nominated in 2008 for WGA (TV) Comedy Series Award for "Entourage"
- Nominated in 2007 for Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series for "Entourage"
- Nominated in 2006 for Golden Globe for Best Television Series for "Entourage"
- Nominated in 2005 for BET Comedy Award Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series for "The Bernie Mac Show"
- Winner of 2004 Humanitas Award for "The Bernie Mac Show"
- Winner of 2003 Humanitas Award for "The Bernie Mac Show"
- Winner of 2001 Peabody Award for "The Bernie Mac Show"
- ^ 'Entourage' duo catapults to UMS, Variety, August 28, 2007
- ^ Kiedis' rock story heading to HBO, Variety, November 11, 2008
- ^ San Diego Comic-Con 2007: Entourage Scribe Mike Benson to Write Moon Knight
- ^ Mike Benson: Of Moon Knight and Redemption Archived 2011-05-23 at the Wayback Machine, Comics Bulletin, August 31, 2007
- ^ Bring on the Knight: An Interview with Moon Knight's Mike Benson Archived 2008-05-15 at the Wayback Machine, Comics Bulletin, March 4, 2008
- ^ Requiem For A Spector? Benson on “Moon Knight”, Comic Book Resources, November 19, 2008
- ^ Ekstrom, Steve (May 22, 2009). "Benson & Glass on 'Luke Cage: Noir'". Newsarama. Retrieved 2009-05-22.