The Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation (Russian: Министерство транспорта Российской Федерации) is the Russian ministry responsible for developing public policies and legal regulations regarding commercial aviation, sea transport, inland waterway transport, railroads, road transport, urban metro systems, and commercial transport vehicles. The ministry is also responsible for surveying and mapping and naming geographic features. It is headquartered in Moscow.
The ministry was created in 1809 as the Ministry of Railway Transport of the Russian Empire; after the revolution it became the People's Commissariat for Railways of the USSR and then (after 1946) the Ministry of Railways, later expanding its authority and becoming the Ministry of Transport of the USSR. After the collapse of the Soviet Union it was re-established as the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic (this being the successor state to the USSR). When that state was renamed to the Russian Federation on December 25, 1991, the ministry's name was again changed to Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation.
For a brief period - March 9, 2004 to May 20, 2004 - the ministry was combined with the Ministry of Communications and Information. This short-lived combined agency was named The Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Russian Federation.
- Federal Service for Supervision of Transport ("Rostransnadzor"; Федеральная служба по надзору в сфере транспорта, Ространснадзор). Formed in 2004.
- Federal Air Transport Agency (FATA) ("Rosaviatsia"; Федеральное агентство воздушного транспорта, Росавиация). Formed in 1964 as Ministry for Civil Air Transport in Soviet Union, responsible for Inspection over the Civil Air Transport. Previous names: Department for Air Transport under the Transportation Ministry (1991-1995), Federal Air Service (1996-1998), Federal Service for Air Transport (1999), State Service for Civil Aviation (2000-2003), Since 2004 is carrying the current name.
- Federal Road Agency ("Rosavtodor"; Федеральное дорожное агентство, Росавтодор)
- Federal Rail Transport Agency ("Roszheldor"; Федеральное агентство железнодорожного транспорта), formed in 2004 on basic of the previous Railways Ministry which was dissolved.
- Federal Agency for Maritime and River Transportation ("Rosmorrechflot"; Федеральное агентство морского и речного транспорта, Росморречфлот).
Ministers of Transport of the Russian Federation
- ^ From March 9, 2004 to May 20, 2004 Levetin's title was Minister of Transport and Communications of the Russian Federation.