Württemberg-Hohenzollern (French: Wurtemberg-Hohenzollern [vyʁtɑ̃bɛʁɡ‿ɔɑ̃zɔlɛʁn]) was a West German state created in 1945 as part of the French post-World War II occupation zone. Its capital was Tübingen. In 1952, it was merged into the newly founded state of Baden-Württemberg.
Württemberg-Hohenzollern should not be confused with the larger Gau ("shire") of the same name that was formed briefly during the Third Reich.
Württemberg-Hohenzollern consisted of the southern half of the former state of Württemberg and the Prussian administrative region of Hohenzollern. The northern half of Württemberg became the state of Württemberg-Baden under US-administration. The division between north and south was set so that the Autobahn connecting Karlsruhe and Munich (today the A8) was completely contained within the American zone.
On 18 May 1947, a new constitution was enacted and Württemberg-Baden's first parliament was elected. With the formation of West Germany on 23 May 1949, Württemberg-Baden joined the federal republic.
A straw poll was held on 24 September 1950 in Württemberg-Hohenzollern, Württemberg-Baden, and Baden regarding a merger of the three states. A public referendum was held on 16 December 1951. All three states were merged and the modern German state of Baden-Württemberg was founded on 25 April 1952.
The coat of arms used was the same arms of the Free People's State of Württemberg of the Weimar Republic.
Coordinates: 48°31′N 9°3′E / 48.517°N 9.050°E / 48.517; 9.050